Debra ReisRN MSN NP
Debra is passionate about holistic healing modalities integrating a mind, body, spirit approach to health and wellness.
Deb works with people diagnosed with cancer who wish to learn more about essential oils and other therapies as part of their healing plan.
She believes this is an important element in her consulting services and educational offerings.
- Nurse Practitioner, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1998.
- M.S.N., Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1986.
- B.S.N., University of Toledo, Toledo, OH. Graduated Cum Laude, 1982.
- Diploma, Toledo Hospital School of Nursing, Toledo, OH, 1979.
- R.N., 1979 – present, State of Ohio
- Certified Acute Care Nurse Practitioner 1998 – present.
- Certified Holistic Nurse from AHNA 1998 – present.
- Certified Healing Touch Practitioner 1998 – present. Instructor, 2000 – 2013.
- Completed Reiki I & II, Sept. 1996. Completed advanced assessment for energy work, Oct, 1996.
- Certified Healing Touch Spiritual Ministry Practitioner 2006 (first available); Instructor, 2002 – present.
- Certified Clinical Aromatherapist and Instructor, 2005 – present.
- Certificated Nia Instructor 1999 – present; received Black Belt in 2008.
- Certificated Ageless Grace Instructor 2012 – present.
- Certificated in critical care nursing, 1983 – 1998.
- Basic Life Support Certification, 1978 – present, Instructor 1987 – 1997; ACLS, 1996 – 1998.
- Coordinator, Healing Care Program, ProMedica Cancer Institute, Sylvania, OH, 2005 – present.
- Holistic Nurse Practitioner, 1999 – present. Role includes a collaborative practice with a physician to provide holistic health concepts including wellness consultations. Independent practice includes essential oils, Healing Touch, gentle movement and guided imagery. Individual and group sessions are offered as well as classes on various holistic health topics.
- Clinical Nurse Specialist, Pulmonary Care, The Toledo Hospital, Toledo, OH, 1989 – 2005.
- Clinical Nurse Specialist, Medical-Surgical Units, Mercy Hospital, Toledo, OH, 1986 – 1989.
- Staff Nurse and Rotating Charge Nurse, Medical-Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Mercy Hospital, Toledo, OH, 1979 – 1986.
- Nature’s Remedies: Inflammation – Relieve, Reduce, Restore with Essential Oils, given at Bermidji, MN, September, 2013. Complementing Cancer Care with Essential Oils, presentation at Bermidji, MN, September, 2013; CE presentation Sylvania, OH, October, 2013; Cedar Rapids, IA, Oct 2013; Phoenix, AZ, Nov, 2013.
- Integrating Essential Oils in Clinical Practice, CE offering for nurses, Roseau, MN, May, 2013.
- Essential Oils for Cancer Care – CE program presented throughout the US and Australia, 2011- present.
- Using Essential Oils for the Oncology Population. Presentation to the instructor conference for the Institute of Spiritual Healing and Aromatherapy, Arvada, CO, January 2008; Delaware, March, 2008; Healing Arts Institute, Perrysburg, OH, April, 2008 and September 2008; Knoxville, TN, April, 2008; Cincinnati, OH, November 2008; Denver, CO, January 2009; Hiawatha, Iowa, March 2009; Three Rivers, MI, May 2009; Chattanooga, TN, May 2009. Healing Arts Institute, Perrysburg, OH, September 2009; Minneapolis, MN, September 2010 along with skin care class; Three Rivers, MI October 2010 along with skin care class.
- Raindrop Technique – CE program presented at local and national level throughout US, 2007 – present.
- Aromatherapy for Psychological and Physical Wellbeing. Integrative Medical Conference, September, 2009, Sylvania, OH. Leadership groups of Toledo area hospitals, 2013.
- Using Essential Oils for Stress Management. Mercy College of NW Ohio, Toledo, OH, February 2008; Community group, Perrysburg, OH, 2008 – 2011; 2013.
- Essential Oils for First Aid. Waterville Wellness Center, Waterville, OH, May, 2008; Healing Arts Institute, February 2009; other venues – present.
- Monthly presentations given to community on variety of topics; several introduction classes to organizations on using essential oils for patient and client situations.
- Monthly teleconference provided through Institute of Spiritual Healing and Aromatherapy on a variety of topics including oncology and skin care, 2010-2011.
- Weekly classes provided to local community and cancer survivor groups.
- Effects of Nia Exercise in Women Receiving Radiation Therapy for Breast Cancer. Sigma Theta Tau, 42nd Biennial Convention (November 16-20, 2013). Oral paper accepted for podium presentation.
- Effects of Nia on Women Receiving Radiation Therapy for Breast Cancer. February 10, 2011, ONS 11th National Conference on Cancer Nursing Research, Los Angeles, CA; Podium Session 8.
- The Nia Experience: Balancing Internal Rhythms of Women with Breast Cancer.
American Holistic Nurses Association, 31st Annual Conference, Podium Presentation, Louisville, KY, June 3, 2011.
- Breast and Prostate Cancer Patients’ Perceptions and Preferences of Traditional and
Non-Traditional Exercise. Assisted with Poster Presentation. Changing Practice through Nursing Research. 7th Annual College of Nursing Research Day, poster presentation, April 22, 2013, Toledo, OH; and 2013 9th Bi-Annual Greater Dayton Area Nursing Research Symposium, Apr 5, 2013; Midwest Nursing Research Society, May 8, 2013, Chicago, IL; Podium Presentation, Zeta Theta Chapter Sigma Theta Tau International Research Conference, Sylvania, OH.
- Breath, Movement & Sound. Presented at the Instructor Conference for the Institute of Spiritual Healing & Aromatherapy, Arvada, CO, 2009; Presented at the Healing Touch International Conference, Colorado, 2002.
- Nia – Celebrate Movement. Integrative Medical Conference, Toledo, OH, 2008.
- Moving the Nia Way. Presentation at the Healing Touch International Conference, Colorado, 2004.
- Celebrating Through Movement: The Nia Technique. Presentation at the AHNA Convention. 2001.
- Class presentations and community events done on regular basis since 2006.
- CAM including Healing Touch given to the Nurse Practitioner Northeast Conference, April 2009; Parish Nurse Conference, 2012.
- Presentation to students at Healing Arts Institute, Perrysburg, OH, Feb 2009; August 2009.
- Healing Touch Spiritual Ministry presentation to Messiah Lutheran Church, Toledo, OH, Feb, 2008; presented at NW Ohio Lutheran Synod, Oct, 2007.
- Presentation to the Kidney Foundation of NW Ohio, Toledo, OH, June 2008.
- Reis D, Walsh ME, Young-McCullough S, Jones T (2013). Effects of Nia Exercise in Women Receiving Radiation Therapy for Breast Cancer, Oncology Nursing Forum, September, 2013.
- Reis D, Walsh ME, Jones T (2011). Nia exercise in patients with breast cancer undergoing radiation. ONS, Radiation Special Interest Group Newsletter, July; 22(2); 1-10.
Walsh ME, Reis D, Jones T. (2011). Integrating Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Use of Essential Oils in Hypertension Management. J Vascular Nursing, June; 29(2).
Walsh ME, Reis D., Jones T. (2010). Integrating Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Use of Myrrh in Wound Management. J Vascular Nursing, September; 28(3): 102.
Reis, D. (2010). Meeting needs of cancer survivors through holistic community programs, Beginnings, Summer.
Brolinson, P., Price, J., Ditmyer, M. & Reis, D. (2001). Nurses’ Perceptions of Complementary and Alternative Medical Therapies. Journal of Community Health, 26(3), pp 175-189.
Reis, D. & Sturis, I (1995). Sharing Governance with Your Patient. Journal of Shared Governance, 1(1).
Reis D (1994). Case Management Reduces Costs, LOS for Ventilator Patients. An interview for Critical Care Management, 2(1), p 3-5.
Good-Reis D & Pieper B (1990). Structured vs Unstructured Teaching: A Research Study. AORN, 51(5), pp1334 – 1339.
Blichfeldt O’Brien M, Honkomp B, Reis D, Greenlee K, O’Donnell M, Rehm A, Ritz S, Depew C (1990). Delegation of Nursing and Nonnursing Activities in Critical Care. AACN: Laguna Niguel, CA.
- Reis D (2012). Inflammation and Your Liver, Cool it Down with Essential Oils.
- Reis D (2011). Radiation Report.
- Reis D (2010). Top 5 Oils for Cancer Care.
- Smith L & Reis D (2011). Business and Marketing Your Essential Oil Practice.
Professional Society Memberships
- American Holistic Nurses’ Association
- Oncology Nursing Society
- Healing Touch International
- Sigma Theta Tau
- Alliance of International Aromatherapists
- National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy
- American Nurses’ Association
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Southeast Michigan Critical Care Nurses Association
- Greater Toledo Association of Critical Care Nurses
- Nurse Healers